Developer of Narrative-First Video Games
I am an independent game developer from Madison, Wisconsin. I have eight years of experience working as an aerospace engineer, where my specialty was developing flight simulations. I started developing games in 2013 as a hobby, and have been searching for a full-time career in game development since early 2017.
I want to join a team pushing the state-of-the-art in interactive narrative. I make first-person games with lots of voice acting.
I am also a husband, a high school soccer coach, and a School Board member in Stoughton, WI.
My games are short, narrative-heavy experiences. My professional expertise is in developing physics-focused flight simulations, and my creative outlet is storytelling. The most polished of my work are all parodies of major video game franchises.
Agent 47 is tasked with eliminating Lippy, a crooked union boss, at an awards show in Baraboo, Wisconsin.
A first-person parody of the Hitman series. An expanded version of a game made for Wizard Jam 4.
Governor Bradford is up for election. Has has a lot of doors to knock on.
Made with five people on Train Jam 2017. The jam theme was "unexpected anticipation."
Luigi is looking for his brother Mario when a door locks behind him. Shuffle through Mario's trophies and fan mail in search of the key that will help you unlock his bedroom door.
A first-person parody of Luigi's Mansion made for Wizard Jam 3.
Jonathon A. Coughlin
Join a small, fun professional game development team on which I can help advance the state-of-the-art in interactive narrative experiences
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN May 2009
Bachelors of Science in Aerospace Engineering GPA: 3.7
Highly proficient in representation of real-world physical phenomena through modeling and simulation
Strong foundation in 3D Newtonian physics and aerospace principles including but not limited to:
- Vectors, coordinate systems and transformations, forces/moments/mass properties
- Rotation dynamics including Euler and quaternion representations of rotation states
- Guidance algorithms and autopilot design
- Tools: Unity, Visual Studio, Blender, Sketchbook, GIMP, CAD, Git, Mercurial, SVN
- Extensive knowledge of Windows-based and UNIX-based platforms
Independent Game Development in Unity C# - 4 years
Unannounced Collaboration with Flippfly - june 2017 - Present
- Gameplay and physics programmer
- Responsible for designing compelling locomotion systems in large open-world
Full-spectrum game production including conceptualization, design, art, animation, programming, audio recording/editing – both independently and with collaborators
- Featured at Glitchcon 2017 as a part of Minnecade
- Linear first-person narrative with semi-real world parodying an existing franchise
- Character design, world-building, and VO writing, acting, and directing
- Comedy designed into writing, art, level design & scripting, animation
- Custom cinematic toolset & cinematic directing/scripting
- Creative director of a small team of collaborators from around the globe
- 100% original art, animation, and programming assets (except customized FPD controller)
- Custom first-person narrative toolset with useable objects and an inventory system
- Creative director on a 3-person team with an artist and assistant programmer
- Custom Unity tool with custom editor/inspector
- Extended to animate game assets and cameras along user-defined paths and time intervals
- Extended to dynamically map and mesh race tracks along user-defined paths – Tiny Tires
Aerospace Engineering & Management Experience - 8 Years
Rocket Engineer – Orbital Technologies Corporation
Madison, WI 2014 – 2016
Rocket Engine and Spacecraft Simulation & Analysis
- Scaled and positioned control systems on conceptual space launch vehicles
- Built and exercised node-based simulations of rocket engine test facilities and rocket engines
- CFD lead and mechanical design support on spacecraft air-conditioner design team
- Sized thermal rejection systems for an inflatable spacecraft
* Presently self-employed as a contractor with Orbital Technologies Corporation with responsibilities similar to those listed during salaried employment of 2014 – 2016
Aerospace Engineer – Dynetics, Inc.
Huntsville, AL 2009 – 2014
Missile Modeling, Simulation & Analysis – 5 years
- Developed, maintained and exercised 6-DOF simulations of missiles ranging in class from shoulder-launched to anti-satellite
- Characterized missile performance against a wide range of threats using Monte Carlo techniques and parallel processing computer clusters
- Modeled diverse sets of ground/air/space-based targets capable of evasive maneuvering
Project Management – 3 years
- Led teams of 2-4 engineers on projects developing simulations and performing analysis, often working with our customer to refine requirements and validating our product against those requirements upon delivery
- Served as technical point of contact with customers, maintained day-to-day communication
- Estimated project costs and crafted technical responses to proposal requests
Flight Test Support & Application Development – 2 years
- Member of flight test team, deploying several times per year for up to two weeks per deployment, modifying/exercising simulation to plan flight tests, predict and verify hardware performance, and diagnose flight test anomalies in a high stress environment
- Designed GUI for real-time flight test software, compressing a wealth of hardware health and status data into a collection of only the most mission critical flags, numbers, and graphics.
- Engineered tools to automatically process flight test data, replicate real-world performance within 6-DOF simulation, and generate plots for quick-look report
- Designed test-range safety analysis package to communicate risks associated with all feasible test article failure modes
- Presented flight test quick-look reports and findings to customers within hours of test events
*PDF resume and references available upon request